Monday, October 22, 2007

Memories from Marlin Schmidt

Dear Wayne, Christy, and family

There have been people in my life over the years that have had a profound effect on who I am today. Of course the greatest and the Master builder behind it all is my dear loving Saviour.
Some of these people He has sent have been to me as the mighty men of David and have gone to great lengths and effort to provide refreshment, guidance, and fellowship. This character of people has been made evident to me through my extended family, the saints here at the Richmond assembly, as well as other dear brothers and sisters in Christ. It is the Coleman clan in particular I have on my heart today. I will attempt to share a little of what I can remember about the time I have been able to enjoy with them.

It was autumn about 4 years ago, after about 2 months of praying and much searching that I found myself heading to the Coleman house for the first time. I had only spoken for moments on the phone with Wayne prior to this and didn’t know what to expect.
It was dark outside and could not see the house numbers very well. So I went to the house with the appliance repair van in front of it and knocked on the door. It was a very nervous time for me, as I had been drifting far from the Lord for many years and was apprehensive about returning to the assembly. Well a very young couple came to the door, much younger than I had expected ( expecting Wayne and Christy ) with the information I had been given from a dear brother from Washington. Soon finding out that I had apparently gone to the wrong house, but they were also going to Wayne and Christy’s for dinner. This young couple turned out to be none other than the sweet Jeff and Heidi Coleman I have grown to deeply cherish. Once we were inside I saw for the first time our dear sister Christy’s wonderful smile. She warmly invited me into her kitchen to sit down and wait with them ( as Wayne was running late ) : ). She was cutting up onions I recall and it was making the tears run down her cheeks as she spoke so kindly and so personally about the Lord Jesus. I just felt comfortable being there although I hardly knew why I was there at the time. Then we had a wonderful, lovingly made dinner which was followed by a chapter from Gods Word and some discussion. When brother Wayne asked why I was there or wanted to come to the meeting all I could say was, to know more about my Saviour. The verse dear brother Wayne used that gave me great comfort in coming back to the assembly was “…go in and out, and find pasture.” John 10:9. He could see the fear I had and simply said, come and go as you feel, no pressure.
So I would like to say to any who may have drifted away from God, and fear embarrassment, or uneasiness about returning. Don’t fear, but come and “delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee.” Isaiah 58:14
Well as the years went on I really enjoyed the time I have been able to go over to Wayne and Christy’s home and go for walks along the dyke. We would talk together about the Lord Jesus, what He has done for us, and share the joy He has been in our lives. And now still although from a bed, physical strength diminishing dear Christy has continued to be a bright encouragement to me and many others.

I thank the Lord for using this loving family who continues to be very close to my heart, and a big part of my life. It is amazing to see how the Lord has by His grace sustained them through this time. May the Lord continue to use them as he has in my life to show the same compassion Christ showed to so many while here below and continues to through others.
It is with much joy that I say thank you to dear sister Christy, to Wayne, and the entire family for allowing yourselves to be the vessels by which God may receive the glory for your kindness and love shown over the years. What a wonderful hope we have, “For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes” Revelation 7:17.

He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus” Revelation 22:20.

Your brother by grace, Marlin

No comments: